Captive Legacy - Theresa Scott

This book reminded me why I fell in luv with reading. I can't say it's necessarily the BEST book I've ever read... it was just good "story telling", if that makes sense. It captivated me. It made me forget reality as I was caught up in the characters & the story the author was telling. When I had to put the book down, I wanted to rush back to it. & @ book's end, I was sad to depart from my new friends. I can't tell you how many books I've read lately that I prayed the book would hurry up & end. It was just a good book of substance that I really enjoyed.

What I liked:
1. I liked the characters. I liked their sense of humor & how they were w/one another. The h is a bit naive & showed some ding-bat moments, but for me, they were easy to digest because I truly believed she was just ignorant from youth, lack of knowledge, lack of experience, different lifestyle. Not that she was stupid. She was actually pretty witty once she caught on. The H was just a rough-around-the-edges good guy. He had a bad past, but he didn't sit around whining about it. He used it to make himself a better person.

2. The story's settings: Frontier life. The life of a trapper/trader. Forts. Indian villages. Jesuit priest compound. Visualizing the world as the author described it.

I guess one way to get my point across of my like of this book... remember being a kid & having someone tell you a story? Your head's processing what you're hearing as words turn into images in your mind. You sit on the edge of your seat in anticipation as what's going to happen next. Then when the story finally ends, you feel the entertainment loss. To me, that's the art of story telling. That's what this book did for me. That, & it probably shined because of all the ho-hum books I've read this year. Too many depressing NAs. This book helped me realize I haven't really been "entertained" by the art of story telling in a long time. IMO, authors lately have been too busy trying to make you "feel" emotions that they forget to simply tell a story. There's no entertainment value in that.